Courtesy of the Camden Council website:
From the park a glorious vista of the surrounding district is obtained. The range of hills to the south is Razorback Range - about 350 metres high. Slightly west is Mount Hunter - 295 metres high - so named by Governor Hunter in 1796 whilst in the area was named ‘The Cowpastures'. To the west are the Blue Mountains. To the east can be seen the Macarthur Homestead, known as Camden Park. Located in Menangle Road, the park is a small part of John Macarthur's last grant, call his ‘North Camden' grant, covering 5,400 acres and granted to him in 1825, only 8 years before his death, when the whole Estate was about 33,000 acres. The park was a gift to the people of Camden by the last Mrs Elizabeth Macarthur-Onslow, a grand daughter of John Macarthur. ....In accepting the gift, the Council of the day decided to name the area ‘Macarthur Park' in honour of James Macarthur, the donor's father. The gift was made on 8 June 1905, and its original areas was 6 acres.
HelpMefind has been advised, (December 2, 2016) that no roses have survived in this park. The only rose left is 'Dr. Huey'. For posterity, we once listed the following roses: Alister Stella Gray, Autumn Delight, China Doll, Chrysler Imperial, Crepuscule, Iceberg, Kalinka, Lakeland, Lamarque, Lorraine Lee, Marechal Niel, Mister Lincoln, Moulin Rouge, Nana Mouskouri, Pascali, Prive, R. macrantha, R. multiflora cathayensis, Satchmo, Shannon, Sonia, Summer Holiday, Tiki. Tom Tom and Zephirine Drouhin.